Tuesday, January 4, 2011

20 books for 2011

First of all, happy 2011! How did you celebrate? Personally, I stayed home and watched movies, but that's because I'm cool. xD New years resolutions? I don't really make them, and when I do I never follow them. I go for the weekly resolutions approach. It's much simpler than saying 'I'm going to lose 50 kg this year!!!!' and then thinking, heck, how am I going to manage that?? Whereas if you make 'weekly resolutions' like I do, and say you did want to loose 50 kg in a year, you could have a resolution for a week that is 'instead of drinking soda this week, I'll go for water'. and so on regarding your whole goal, throughout the year. Small goals help you achieve your overall goal.

So, do I have a new years resolution this year? Yes.
What is it? Well, actually it's more of a challenge I'm setting myself rather than a resolution.
Then my dear, what is this challenge you speak of? I'm going to try and read 20 books this year. That works out at 1.6 books a month. I found this challenge somewhere on the internet and it was originally for 50 books, but I'm not going to try and read that many, I don't want to disappoint myself. 20 is something I think I can reach, and if I read more than that I'll be pretty darn happy (:
What does it have to do with the blog? Well, I'm planning on reviewing every book I read here. Mainly as a sort of, archive for myself. But also for the few readers I have (:

I would like to introduce you to an awesome app; ReadMore
View webpage here 
It's currently on the iTunes app store for $2.49 (AU)
Basically, what it does, is tracks what you read. You enter the book title, author and how many pages it has, and then every time you read that book you press 'Begin Reading'. It then starts a timer, and you can pause that timer if you need to. When you've finished reading you press the stop button, and then input what page you finished on. What's awesome about this is, it can calculate how long it thinks you'll take to finish the book, and on what date. Now I don't take much notice of that date, but I do take notice of the hours it thinks you'll take to finish. It takes what you have read, works out an average of what you read, so if you've read 50 pages over 2 days, on average you've read 25 pages a day. Then it'll work out how long, yada yada yada, you get the idea. But, I have to say, it's my favourite app, and the one I was most happy to spend a little money on. The price has been put up since I purchased it, but I still think at $2.49 it's a steal. So this is what I'll be using to help me make sure that I get through the 20 books!

I'd love for anyone to join me in this challenge!

Takes care, and have a joyful 2011.
Alyssa.x

No comments:

Post a Comment